January 13, 2011

The Purpose for this Blog--Becoming The Proverbs 31 Woman

I want to be something that I'm not.  I want to be the woman of all women, the one so many of us women of faith strive earnestly to be.  Who is this mystery woman, you ask?  Who else?  It's the ever allusive Proverbs 31 Woman.  Some of you might be thinking, "Okay, but who in the world is that?"  Then again, some of you might know who I'm talking about and may be able to say that you already are living the life of the Proverbs 31 Woman, or you're at least on the way to becoming this woman.  Well, congratulations.  I want what you have!   I, on the other hand, am not there yet.  Not even close...that is yet.  After ten wonderful years of marriage to the most loving, supportive, giving, intelligent (and not to mention handsome)  man there is, and after two and a half years of being a mom to the most adorable, amazing, joyful, funny, and energetic little boy ever, my mission for 2011 is this (drum roll, please):  stop beating myself up over not being like the Proverbs 31 Woman and do something about it.  I'm beginning on the journey, folks.  Not only do I deserve to be this kind of woman for myself, but my husband deserves to be married to this kind of wife, and most importantly, my son deserves to have this kind of mother.

Some may say that it's a lofty goal, that it's impossible to become this noble woman who King Solomon speaks so highly of in his little book of wise sayings in the Old Testament of the Bible.  After all, she does have it all together.  Maybe that's what has kept me from trying in the past.  The outcome just seemed too far out of reach, too ethereal and mystical, like something you see and want in a dream but never seem close enough to touch.  But recently, I've been praying and thinking, thinking and praying, reading scripture, thinking, and praying some more.  Maybe as godly women who want to influence our families in extraordinary ways and be amazing wives, mothers, friends, daughters, workers, members of society, etc., we don't have to be perfect in all of these roles.  And to go even further, maybe God doesn't expect us to be perfect in all of these roles.  Here's a thought.  Maybe, just maybe, we are called to just have the heart of the Proverbs 31 Woman, and God will use our hearts to lead us towards gradual transformation into the ultimate wife, mother, friend, etc. The Proverbs 31 Woman is the role model.  She's the example that all Christian women look to.  Maybe God can take the very small things that we do in our simple, every day, ordinary lives and turn them into something absolutely extraordinary. 

So this year is going to be the year that I finally get my act together and start at least trying to live like this amazingly strong woman.  Year after year I have a yearning to whip my life into shape, but I never seem to be able to follow through.  My goals are usually wishy-washy, vague, immeasurable, not rooted in my faith in Christ, or too overwhelming; that is, if I even name my goals at all.  This is the year that all that changes.  I have a clear focus, and I have created a list of goals that are actually very practical in helping me on this long road of becoming more like the Proverbs 31 Woman.  I'm actually quite proud of myself for being able to do this, thank you very much.  During this process in which I am about to embark, I'm sure that I will have moments of success, and I'm most certain that I will fall flat on my face more than once.  I'm sure that there will be times of joy, frustration, tears, pride, accomplishment, discouragement, laughter, apathy, and such, but I am committed to doing this for my family and for me.  I believe with all my heart that THIS is what God is calling me to do this year.  This blog will hopefully give me the accountability that I need in setting out on this long journey.  I'm not so arrogant to think that I will be like the Proverbs 31 mom and wife by the time 2012 rolls around.  I know that this journey to get to where both God and I really want me to be will probably take me a lifetime, but it's a beginning... 

A wife of noble character who can find?
     She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
     and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
     all the days of her life.
She selects wool and flax
     and works with eager hands.
She is like the merchant ships,
      bringing her food from afar.
She gets up while it is still dark;
      she provides food for her family
      and portions for her servant girls.
She considers a field and buys it;
     out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She sets about her work vigorously;
     her arms are strong for her tasks.
She sees that her trading is profitable,
     and her lamp does not go out at night.
In her hand she holds the distaff
     and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
She opens her arms to the poor
     and extends her hands to the needy.
When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
     for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
She makes coverings for her bed;
      she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
Her husband is respected at the city gate, 
     where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them,
     and supplies the merchants with sashes.
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
     she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom,
     and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
     and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
     her husband also, and he praises her;
"Many women do noble things,
     but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
     but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her the reward she has earned,
     and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
(From Proverbs 31:10-31 in the Bible)

3 comments:

  1. Amen sister! One thing I've been thinking a lot aout lately is that we all strive for this image of perfection - especially as moms - we want to be seen as the "most fun mom" or the "most educational mom" or the "healthiest mom", and sometimes the "best wife". I see it all around me and I know I fall into it at times. But you are right, God doesn't call us to all of that and we are setting up an image for others to think is true but it's not.

    Good for you for doing this blog and being honest and heartfelt. Looking forward to following in your journey with you and hopefully growing in my own spiritual walk, as well! Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jenni i didn't know you could write like that!
    very good thoughts,
    i'm looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you were my son's teacher.
    I'm looking forward to what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete